HEALTH POLICY RECOMMENDATIONS TO RESPOND TO COVID-19
Our world is facing a public health and economic turmoil that is unprecedented.
In response, we are all taking dramatic steps, and making real changes, for the sake of the health of our neighbors. It is time for state and federal officials to step up and do the same.
This crisis is shining a light on the cracks in our health care system and exaggerating pre-existing inequities. Elected officials should focus on patient-centered policies in order to increase coverage, reduce financial burden, improve emergency response, and save lives.
See our linked policy recommendations below for more information:
- Improve Access to Health Insurance Coverage
- Make it easier to get and keep Medicaid
- Take away all copays and premiums on Medicaid
- Make it easier to get ACA Marketplace insurance
- Reduce the cost of ACA Marketplace plans for low and middle-class households
- Ensure Robust Outreach to Encourage Enrollment
- Fund enrollment activities
- Maximize promotion of Medicaid, CHIP, and Marketplace from government officials and entities
- Improve Access to Testing, Treatment and Affordable Health Care
- Require full coverage for all COVID-19 treatment, not just testing
- Regulate “junk” insurance
- Stop surprise medical billing and price-gouging
- Improve Emergency Access to Providers, Prescriptions, and Services
- Address provider shortages by relaxing requirements
- Add prescription flexibility
- Expand and improve telehealth
The full list of detailed recommendations from UHPP is available here:
July 16th sign-on letter in support of increased federal Medicaid funding linked HERE